Skip to main content

I spent most of the day going door to door in New Jersey's 7th district (The Fighting 7th).  Linda Stender is a Netroots Candidate, who has a real shot of winning one more house seat.

Linda took the time to meet with the volunteers in the afternoon.  She was warm, gracious, and even promised to defend this "Bill of Rights" that I, as an out-of-touch liberal, sprung on her as a condition of support.  She seemed familiar with the document (as well as "The Constitution"--another document many of us liberals support).

Based on recent polling showing her within the margin of error, talking with Independent voters today, the fact that Linda is going to receive The New York Times endorsement tomorrow, and the anti-Republican mood in the country, I strongly believe that this is no longer a long shot and, with a little support, Linda has a real chance of winning this race!

All day, I went door to door, going to every independent and Democratic registered voter in a small area of Springfield, New Jersey.  Every Democratic voter I spoke with strongly supported the Democrats, assuring me they would be voting for Linda Stender and Bob Menendez.  What excited me the most, however, were the independents.  Many Independents didn't want to talk, but those who did unanimously supported both Stender and Menendez.  One woman (a registered independent) said "I'm definitely voting for the Democrats.  My husband always votes for the Republicans.  We used to cancel each other's votes out, but he doesn't think he'll vote this year."  In other words, our base is motivated!

Linda also has a solid campaign running.  We've all worked on campaigns that waste your time.  It is frustrating, but that is not the case here.  The campaign staff was ready to meet us, had a packet for each of us, with maps, scripts and literature.  They had highlighted starting and ending locations, and, a nice touch, had a driver map of how to get to each of our starting locations.  In other words, Linda will use your money well!

Finally, a dollar for Linda also helps Bob Menendez because they are working together on GOTV.  Bob Menendez is the only seat held by a Democrat that we may not hold.  He has had some minor ethical scandals.  My understanding is that he helped a clinic that he leased a house to get funding for their work.  Clearly it wasn't the wisest choice as there was a conflict of interest, but he didn't profit, accept bribes or charge exorbitant rent.  And party affiliation matters.  This is, as Paul Krugman pointed out, a time of "One-Letter Politics".

So help Linda!  If are in the NYC Metropolitan area, they are close to the trains and will pick you up at the station.  Or send some money! This was a long shot, but it is now a prize that is within reach!

Originally posted to AlisaR on Sat Oct 21, 2006 at 05:11 PM PDT.

EMAIL TO A FRIEND X
Your Email has been sent.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.

Add keywords that describe this diary. Separate multiple keywords with commas.
Tagging tips - Search For Tags - Browse For Tags

?

More Tagging tips:

You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?

You must be a member of a group to use this feature.

Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
(The diary will be removed.)
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?

Comment Preferences

•  I walked for Patsy (5+ / 0-)

NM01, hardly anyone home.  It was beautiful day, so not surprise people were out and about.  I still recruited a couple of volunteers.
    Keep it up!  This is what Democracy looks like!

Mess with Texas.

by sap on Sat Oct 21, 2006 at 05:29:24 PM PDT

•  Today I walked (3+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      maryru, trashablanca, AlisaR

for Patty Wetterling, MN06. It was a chilly day but people were generally warm and friendly, even those who weren’t as enthusiastic about Patty as am I. What made my day was being able to persuade at least four undecided (uninformed) voters to vote for Patty.

Man's most judicious trait, is a good sense of what not to believe. Euripides

by A Ernest Mann on Sat Oct 21, 2006 at 06:07:40 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Great job! It would be awesome to take this seat (2+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    trashablanca, AlisaR

I have a friend who lives in NJ-07 (Bernardsville).  His 40th birthday present from me was $100 to the Stender campaign.  He approved wholeheartedly...

Use your green to turn New England blue! Donate here.

by jab on Sat Oct 21, 2006 at 05:36:54 PM PDT

•  "He has had some minor ethical scandals." (4+ / 0-)

More accurately, he was boss of the Hudson County Democratic Party, one of the most corrupt political machines in the state.

I am voting for Menendez anyway.  But lets put it this way:  There's a very good reason Governor Corzine took so long to decide on appointing Menendez, whom everyone thought was the consensus pick to fill his Senate spot.

•  Thanks for the clarification (4+ / 0-)

He isn't my top choice, but in this year, I'd rather have Menendez, one of my least favorite Dems, than Chaffee, one of the better Repubs.

•  He's not... (3+ / 0-)
        Recommended by:
        trashablanca, Newspeak101, AlisaR

...one of my least favorite Dems.  He has a generally good voting record (though I am appalled that he voted for the detainee bill) and is a shrewed political manueverer.

Just has a lot of potential skeletons in the closet...and Hudson County has been stuck with local officals that are mediocre at best and criminal at worst.

•  I have to agree.... (4+ / 0-)
          Recommended by:
          hayden, maryru, trashablanca, AlisaR

with your statement re: Menendez vote for the detainee bill (Lautenberg voted for it as well). That vote smacks of political expediancy from a lifetime Hudson County Pol. I told my brother that I am going to have to hold my nose when I vote for Menendez. Still much better than Kean though (the Kean family strikes me as Bush Type Dynasty wannabes).

I live in Warren Township NJ-07. Heavy Republican town (I used to joke that an Orangutan could run for a town council seat and as long as it was on the Repub line we would have an orangutan for a councilman (Council-Primate?)).

Talking to my neighbors I have been using the line..."I just want to see some basic competency in DC for a change". This sparks interest...I hear from some former strong repubs that they are not going to vote or may even go Democratic (the tone of the conversation drops to a conspiratorial whisper for this last revelation).

I sent the Stender campaign money and may volunteer for the last weekend and/or to drive on Election day (still have to make sure I will be in town - I travel extensively for business).

Thanks so much to ALL who have the time and committment to volunteer for Linda. I wish I could but its hard when you might be in London or San Fran day after next (typical stops). The wife loses it when I come home and announce that I am doing anything else but be with the family - given my usual absences.

Go Linda!

I told you the dopes are going to inherit the earth anyway - Diz Moore

by Newspeak101 on Sat Oct 21, 2006 at 06:38:12 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  I live one town over from you (2+ / 0-)
            Recommended by:
            trashablanca, AlisaR

In Berkeley Heights, and it's the same thing; people want to vote for change, but are afraid to declare it openly. When I talk to people in my town, I'm suprised by how many are actually Democrats, but register as Republicans so as not to draw scorn from their neighbors! We're in the same boat.

Hopefully Linda will draw enough votes in our area, plus her own base, and pull it off.

•  Good for you! (2+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    blueyedace2, AlisaR

I sent the Stender campaign money two weeks ago, but you've done more than that with all your time and energy.

I'm afraid I'm pessimistic, but I couldn't look myself in the face, win or lose, if I hadn't done something to work against Ferguson.

•  Working for Linda (3+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    maryru, trashablanca, AlisaR

I'm a volunteer for Linda Stender too.  She is an outstanding candidate.  She is on the right side of every issue I believe in.  I've been canvassing, phone calling and contributing more money than I ever have to a campaign.  She is so close to winning this district for the Dems.  Please help if you can.

•  ignore balm (0+ / 0-)

J.D. Hayworth
    hires criminals to speak for him

by desertbug on Thu Oct 26, 2006 at 03:22:50 PM PDT

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site